Virginia Commonwealth University
The Cary Street Gym project required renovating the existing structure and constructing a state-of-the-art addition to the west side of the facility. The expanded building now serves as the permanent location and sole venue for recreational sports on the Monroe Park Campus. The facility features a four-court gymnasium with a three-lane running track above, a large climbing wall, aerobics/exercise rooms, racquetball courts, a multi-activity court gymnasium, a natatorium with leisure and lap pools, locker facilities, and offices.
This project is LEED Gold certified with the U.S. Green Building Council. Notable sustainable design features include a rainwater cistern for irrigation and exceptional preservation of open space.
Awards + Recognition
- Architectural Portfolio Citation for Sports Stadiums/Athletic Facilities, American School & University, 2010
- Virginia Green Innovation Award for Best Institutional Project, Virginia Sustainable Building Network, 2011
- Green Building Leadership Award, James River Green Building Council, 2011
- Innovative Architecture and Design Award, Recreation Management, 2011
- Outstanding Sports Facilities Award, National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA), 2012
- Grand Prize for Project Innovation in Modernization, Buildings, 2010
- Project of the Year—Architectural Design category, Mid-Atlantic Construction, 2010