Virginia Commonwealth University
The Cabell Library addition and renovation exemplifies the potential to transform a mid-century library into a state-of-the-art facility that enlivens an entire campus. Prior to the addition and renovation, the library faced a dire need for spaces for individual and group study, collaboration, and social interaction. Now completed, the project nearly doubles previous seating capacity and introduces a range of environments for independent and collaborative work. In addition to its range of flexible study spaces, the new library includes an event space, a café, and “the workshop,” which features robust facilities for digital content creation, 3D fabrication, and large display technologies used for gaming and visualization.
The facility earned LEED Silver certification in 2017.
Awards + Recognition
- Excellence in Academic Libraries Award, Association of College and Research Libraries, 2018
- IES Illumination Awards, Illuminating Engineering Society Boston & Rhode Island, 2017
- Best Higher Education Project, Engineering News-Record, 2016
- Architectural Portfolio—Renovation/Modernization category, American School & University, 2016
- New Landmark Library Award, Library Journal, 2016