This project is part of a larger vision of a unified “Arts Precinct” on the eastern edge of campus along Alumni Mall and College Avenue that is focused on inspiring both the campus and the community. Part of the original 1950 infirmary, Henderson Hall required a comprehensive modernization of the building and life safety systems. The renovated facility features theater labs, visual design studio program spaces, graphic design classrooms, music practice rooms, offices, and support spaces.
Theatre 101 is an 8,400-square-foot addition designed to support a variety of performance types and configurations ranging from traditional to experimental. In addition to the flexible black box space, it offers rehearsal room, dressing, room, control room, and associated support spaces. The theater’s placement adjacent to Henderson Hall captures an outdoor space between the two buildings, which functions as an outdoor performance patio and amphitheater seating.
Earning LEED Gold in 2010, this project became the first LEED certified endeavor on campus.